The UK’s Stop the War Coalition published a list summarizing Israel’s modus operandi for public relations and hasbara propaganda.
The PR algorithm might as well be called “A Step-by-Step Guide to Making Hasbara Propaganda.”
From its website:
Israel explains to the media the killing of civilians in Gaza
- We haven’t heard reports of deaths, will check into it.
- The people were killed, but by a faulty Palestinian rocket/bomb.
- Ok we killed them, but they were terrorists.
- Ok they were civilians, but they were being used as human shields.
- Ok there were no fighters in the area, so it was our mistake. But we kill civilians by accident, they do it on purpose.
- Ok we kill far more civilians than they do, but look at how terrible other countries are.
- Why are you still talking about Israel? Are you some kind of anti-Semite?
Repeat from step 1. Test this against the next interview you hear or watch by Mark Regev or any other spokesperson for Israel.
It works every time. Every single time.