(This article is published in BuzzFeed—I know; I can already smell my career smoldering in ashes as I self-flagellate in shame.)
Every year, the leaders of the world’s hegemonic nations get together for the G7 Summit.
AP may genuinely be trolling with some of the weird photos it took at the 2015 G7 Summit, in Schloss Elmau, Bavaria, Germany. Several of them verge on the bizarre.
There are photos of:
• The world’s leaders prancing around in a field.
Which inspired me to make a meme.
— Ben Norton (@BenjaminNorton) 8. Juni 2015
• Obama and Merkel in a position that looks strangely like they are about to make out.
• More implied romance between Obama and Merkel.
• Merkel gesticulating (in what can now only be construed to be a provocative, even sensual manner) as Obama relaxes coolly and perhaps even coquettishly on a bench (watch out Michelle!), with turbid snow-covered mountaintops as a scenic backdrop.
• Obama toasting the photographer with a big Bavarian beer.
• Really, really bizarre balloons depicting distorted faces of the leaders.
• The truly terrifying fulminous flight of those really, really bizarre balloons.
Emphasis on “terrifying.”
A spectre is haunting Europe—the spectre of maleficent imperial leader balloons.
• A dude with a sign that says “G7 to hell! [Message approved!] I like Putin! [Er, not so much…]”—next to a communist flag, doubtless to red-bait.
• And a bunch of war criminals and imperial overseers blithely waving goodbye.
The joke is they are waving bye not just to you, but also to your pensions, healthcare, and social security—as well as to a liveable climate and to world peace.